Originally announced during the opening event of Summer Game Fest, One Piece Odyssey has now released a developer diary video showcasing more concretely what the JRPG has in store for players.
- Two characters original to the game will show up – Adio and Lim.
- Switch between Straw Hat Crew characters on a whim in order to navigate the environment.
- Each member has a unique ability, like being able to cross gaps, destroying obstacles or crawling through tiny spaces.
- Opponents roam the map, but you can avoid fighting them if you wish.
- Battles are turn-based, selecting one ability per turn.
- Bigger battles are divided into smaller battles – each crew member faces a different opponent and you switch between encounters, fighting in more places at the same time.
- Randomly, a battle can trigger a ‘Dramatic Scene’ – for example, a Dramatic Scene might make Shanji unable to attack because… he is surrounded by women.
One Piece Odyssey is being developed in Unreal Engine 4 and launches this year.
Are you looking forward to One Piece Odyssey? How do you feel about the turn-based combat system? Let us know in the comments below!
Stay up to date on all the various thingamajigs going on in gaming by checkout out these articles:
- Steam Summer Sale – JRPG Game Deals
- NieR:Automata The End of Yorha Coming to Nintendo Switch This Fall
- Capcom Announces Mega Man Battle Network Legacy Collection, What We Know + Deals for Previous Collections
- Releasing Today: The Portal Collection on Nintendo Switch
- Neon White Review – Platforming (in) Heaven