A new Pokemon Presents just took place today, and it has some exciting news! The big draw is Scarlet and Violet, the next mainline Pokemon game. Here’s a quick rundown.
Before we get into Scarlet and Violet, here’s some news on other Pokemon titles:
- Pokemon World Championship returns between August 18th to 21st, in London. Pokemon Go and Pokemon Unite were added as part of the event’s roster.
- Pokemon GO Fest 2022 finale happening on August 27
- Pokemon Unite celebrates its first anniversary. Introduces Pika battles where all Pokemon are Pikachu. Buzzwole added to the game starting today.
- Masters EX 3-year anniversary. Trainer Lodge coming soon.
- Mewtwo returns to the Pokemon Cafe Remix game.
Scarlet and Violet
The main event of the stream! We got almost 10 minutes of news about the upcoming Scarlet and Violet games, and they look pretty exciting.
Scarlet and Violet are set in the Paldea region. This is going to be an open world that you’ll be able to explore freely, with the ability to tackle gym battles in any order. You will also be able to enroll in a specific academy as a student, depending on the version of the game you have.
As mentioned, the gym battles return in this game, but there are also two other stories players will be able to experience. The livestream was pretty vague in that regard. You’ll also be able to explore the world with up to 3 other players.
There are two new Legendary Pokemon in Scarlet and Violet, Koraidon and Miraidon. Each of them is tied to one of the game’s versions, and they both have elements reminiscent of motorcycles in their designs. Koraidon looks like an actual wild animal, while Miraidon is more similar to a sleek robot.
The motorcycle design elements are very deliberate, as these two are your main mode of traversing the world. Yep, you’ll be able to ride a Legendary Pokemon during the majority of the game, switching between land, air and water modes. This implies we’ll get them fairly early, but there was no mention on whether they’re usable in battle.
New Gameplay Elements
The new mechanic that affects combat is what they call the Terastal phenomenon. This gives your Pokemon a gem-like texture, as well as a sick new headgear. This is somewhat similar to Mega Evolutions and Dynamax forms from previous games, with every mon in S&C being able to use it.
Terastalyzing a Pokemon will increase its stats and make its moves more powerful. What’s interesting is that doing this can also change their typing, like making Pikachu a flying Pokemon. What type you get is pre-determined by the Pokemon’s Tera-type, so you’ll want to pay attention to what you catch.
Another addition to the game are Terra Raid Battles. As the name implies, this is a raid that you can take on with up to 4 other players. Player turns are taken simultaneously, so you don’t have to wait for your friends to make their moves before you make yours. At the end, you’ll be able to catch a Pokemon with a rare Tera typing.
Pokemon Scarlet and Violet releases on Nintendo Switch on November 18th.
Are you excited for Scarlet and Violet? Which version are you getting? Let us know down below!
- PlayStation Plus Essential Receives Evil Dead: The Game, OlliOlliWorld, Destiny 2: Beyond Light, and Mafia: Definitive Edition in February
- Sony To Remove the PlayStation Plus Collection, Subscribers Have Until May 9th To Claim the 19 Games
- Free Epic Games Store Titles For Week 4 – Adios and Hell is Others
- Game Pass Adds 9 Games in the Second Wave of January
- Microsoft and Bethesda Present Hi-fi RUSH, a New Rhythm Action Game From the Creators of The Evil Within, Out Today!