Wizards of the Coast's Mark "Maro" Rosewater has posted a teaser for the upcoming Core 2021 Set! The set is set to release at the end of June, early July for paper players, and will be the 20th Core set we've seen!
- Core 2021 Releases on MTG Arena on June 25.
- Core 2021 Releases on Tabletop on July 3 with a prerelease taking place on June 26
- Spoiler Season begins on June 4
We'll be covering the spoilers daily with our usual wrap-up posts so be sure to check back. With that out of the way, onto the teasers!
Quote From Maro
The new core set has a lot of exciting new cards, including:
- A brand new planeswalker (from a plane we’ve visited)
- A card that lets you draw half of your library.
- A +1/+1 tribal lord for a creature type that’s never had one. (A creature type with over fifty cards already in print.)
- A character with a Vanguard card and a legendary creature card gets a second of the latter.
- A card with thirty-one different options.
- A card that gains all activated abilities of a certain subset of cards in a place it’s never done it before.
- A card that uses a nonevergreen named ability over twenty years old.
- A card with the words “battlefield”, “cast”, “creature”, “converted mana cost”, “end of turn”, “exile”, “graveyard” and “mana cost”.
- An aura inspired from a cycle from Urza’s Saga block
- A nonevergreen enchantment subtype returns
Core 2021 also has a number of fun reprints, including:
- A popular character first introduced in flavor text.
- A French Vanilla mythic rare.
- A popular aura that started as part of a cycle.
- A card with a unique protection.
- Two cards played in tournaments that have been reprinted over twenty times with at least five different pieces of art
- A card that’s never previously appeared in a premier set.
- A card that’s never been reprinted before which has a 2, 3, 5 and 6 all appear on the card.
- A Human Monk.
- A card from the Time Spiral timeshifted sheet.
Have fun speculating!
A card with 31 different options? How would that even work? Or is it an option in the sense that its effect depends on the color or creature types of the cards in your deck?
This has 31 different options. Any card with 5 options that you can choose one or more of has 31 different choices available, so yes, something based on the colours would work.
Oh, I see what you mean. For some reason I thought it could be a card with 31 distinct options, without any intersecting effects between the options.
"A popular character first introduced in flavor text."
The return of Fblthp!
While Fblthp is definitely a fan favorite, the fact that spoiler was apart of the cards being reprinted makes me feel skeptical, since reprinting a legendary creature that's still in standard seems questionable. The card I personally believe is going to be reprinted is Saffi Eriksdotter, which appeared on Lhurgoyf with the best flavor text of all time, "'Ach Hans, run! It's the Lhurgoyf!' - Saffi Eriksdotter, last words".
I am also definitely not biased towards wanting Saffi to be reprinted because she's one of my favorite cards of all time and I want to be able to shove her into every single deck under the sun in Arena.
Yeah I am not too sure about Fblthp because, as you mentioned, he is already a card in standard. It was just the first thing that popped into my head.
Congratulations! This is an incredible achievement of yours! I cannot believe you did it!! Wow!! Just... wow!!
Thanks I was impressed too!