Another week, another bundle of freebies courtesy of Epic Games! This week we’ve got extreme dinosaur survival classic ARK: Survival Evolved and Gloomhaven, a turn-based tactical RPG adapted from the table-top game of the same name. Without further ado, let’s get into it.
ARK: Survival Evolved
ARK is a survival game where you wake up mostly naked on an island full of dinosaurs, giant ants, huge dragonflies, fancy primal tigers and ravenous pigeons. I’ve put somewhere around 40 hours into the game and here’s what I’ve learned:
- You really want to tame a giant herd of dinosaurs.
- Almost everything you can craft has a purpose and upgrades feel impactful.
- Being unable to skip the night by sleeping makes for a good rhythm of hunting & gathering during the day and crafting / chilling at night.
- You might go to the nearby river just to get some water and get attacked by seven dinosaurs of all shapes and sizes. Yes, this has happened to me, several times!
- While I really enjoy crafting, get ready to spend a lot of time hauling rare resources back to your base as things get expensive really quickly.
ARK has given me nothing but challenges; it’s been a brutal journey so far, oftentimes downright unfair (do not attempt to build a base on the shore) but it’s the fact that ARK never holds your hand that makes this game a must-play for those of you who are looking for a proper survival experience.
P.S. This game can become a lot easier with friends!
Gloomhaven is a turn-based tactical RPG that simulates the table top game it is based on, released in 2017. The game is co-operative, supporting up to four players. Here’s a list of the juice contained within this game:
- 17 playable classes.
- 95 unique playable scenarios (branched together depending on player actions).
- One session takes on average 90-115 minutes.
- Characters and monsters move on hex tiles that represent dungeons and cellars.
- Randomization is not created through die rolls, but rather through a deck of cards.
Next week we’ve got Runbow, a 2D platformer racing video game that supports up to 9 players, locally and online, as well as The Drone Racing League Simulator, which is, well, pretty self-explanatory!
Have you already played ARK or Gloomhaven? Let us know your thoughts on them in the comments below!
- Free Epic Games Store Titles For Week 38: Gloomhaven and ARK: Survival Evolved
- Loot Tables Shifting as Heroic Dungeons Gain an Additional Difficulty in Wrath of the Lich King Classic
- Game Pass Adds 10 New Games to the Service, Including Deathloop, Grounded, and Slime Rancher 2
- Nvidia Announces the 4000 Series of Cards, 4090 and 4080 Launching This Fall
- Blizzard Releases Blog Post Detailing Upcoming Closed End Game Beta For Diablo IV