Among all the novelties unveiled in the March of the Lich King announcement stream, one that deserves particular attention is the remarkable revamp of the Events System. This covers all the mid-expansion events we get on a regular basis: Midsummer Fire Festival, Feast of Winter Veil and Hallow’s End fall into this category.
Well, Team 5 decided to step up their game and, starting from patch 24.6 (which, in case you don’t know, is already live), every player’s profile journal will feature a brand new interface. These are the main updates you should be aware of:
- A new tab has been added to each player’s profile journal.
- There, you’ll be able to find Event Quests, rewards, and the duration of the event.
- When an event is live, the usual profile journal’s icon will be covered by a unique seasonal wax seal.
- During each event, you’ll be provided with thematic Event Quests.
- Said Event Quests will provide XP on an Event-specific reward track.
- Just like the Battlegrounds Reward Track is separated from the Constructed Reward Track, the Event-specific reward track will follow the same rule.
- Complete the Event Quests to earn special rewards!
- Event XP will also be earned from playing games, although Event Quests will be the main driver to unlocking rewards.
Moreover, the first event taking place under the new event system is already live with patch 24.6: we are talking about 2022’s Hallow’s End, with a strong focus on the Death Knight flavor. In fact, the entire Knights of the Frozen Throne set will be back in Standard as part of the Core Set FOR FREE and FOR EVERYONE until March of the Lich King goes live on December 6th.
Here’s what Blizzard had to say:
We’re introducing a new Events System and interface with Patch 24.6! Now, instead of just Legendary Quests, players can complete thematic Event Quests to earn XP on an Event-specific reward track. Additionally, in-game events will have their own special place in the Journal. When an event is live, there will be a seasonal wax seal over the Journal. Open the wax seal and you will be directed to a special Journal tab for that event, which will show Event Quests, rewards, and duration all in one thematic spot!
The first event with this new Events System will be the Knights of Hallow’s End Event, which starts with Patch 24.6. To kick off that event, the entire Knights of the Frozen Throne expansion will be temporarily Standard legal and FREE for all players! Now you can relive the first time The Lich King came to Hearthstone as you prepare for his return in December.
Other Important Talking Points
With this new event system added to the game, there are a few notable improvements to players’ experience.
First up, Team 5 will have a lot more options when it comes to designing a seasonal event: before this new system, the devs were bound to the usual Quest chain, which wasn’t bad at all, but had a few cons:
- All the rewards were locked one behind the other, meaning that being stuck on a certain quest would’ve made you lose on all the other goodies available.
- You could complete only one quest of the chain at time, while the picture above shows that you have access to two quests at the same time.
- All the events were quite similar and redundant: you received your quest chain, completed it by playing several game modes and you were done.
Although there might still be room for improvement, this is a considerable step in the right direction!
- Game of the Week: World of Warcraft: Dragonflight
- Path of Exile: The Forbidden Sanctum Q&A Recap
- Everything Revealed During the Path of Exile: The Forbidden Sanctum Announcement
- December’s First Wave of Game Pass Games Is Here – 12 Titles Added to the Service
- Free Epic Games Store Titles For Week 48: Fort Triumph & RPG in a Box