Overwatch is coming back, better than ever!
Blizzard Entertainment has concluded their Overwatch Reveal Event today which focused on debuting two new heroes, skins, maps, and a ton more. Let’s jump into things and go over everything that Blizzard announced during the presentation.
When Does the Overwatch 2 Beta Start? Early Access?
The big question on everyone’s mind is about Beta. Good news, we aren’t going to be waiting very long!
- Overwatch 2’s Beta begins on June 28, 2022. We had a smaller, shorter Beta test last month.
- Overwatch 2 will be going into Early Access on October 4, 2022 and is when Season 1 begins.
- Season 2 begins on December 6, 2022. Seasons are expected to last around 9 weeks.
You can sign-up for the Beta on the official website. Note that the original PVP Beta does not grant you access to the new Beta, so sign up again.
Blizzard is going to be trying to get all players that sign-up for the Beta in by July 14, 2022.
You can also purchase an “Overwatch 2: Watchpoint Pack” to get immediate access on June 28. The full Beta FAQ can be found here.
How Much is Overwatch 2 Going to Cost?
Overwatch 2 is going to be Free to Play! Blizzard will be monetizing the game through cosmetics in the in-game store and season passes.
This is great news for players that were original skeptical about paying for the game again.
How Do I Get Skins in Overwatch 2?
Everything players obtained during the original Overwatch comes with them to Overwatch 2. We’re no longer going to have loot boxes though!
Loot boxes have been removed in favor of placing cosmetics directly in the shop, those familiar with Fortnite will know this model well, with a rotating set of cosmetics each day. You will also be able to obtain skins through their Battle Pass.
Overwatch 2 Founder’s Pack?
It gets even better! If you bought the original Overwatch, Blizzard is giving you access to a Founder’s Pack. This is going to come with an exclusive icon, two Epic-tier skins (General Doomfist & Jester Sombra), and a “surprise gift”.
To be eligible for the Founder’s Pack, you must purchase the original Overwatch game prior to June 23, 2022.
Everything Else in the Overwatch 2 Reveal Event Presentation
With the Beta, Free to Play, and Skin bits out of the way, let’s get a recap on that presentation.
- Overwatch 2 is a live service game that will feature a new Season every 9 weeks, with new content coming out in each cycle.
- Heroes have received reworks.
- New maps and modes will be available.
- There is full cross-progression between different platforms.
- The PvE part of Overwatch 2 is going to be coming out in 2023.
- The competitive experience is going to be new, and will let players feel a sense of progression.
- Moving to a 5v5 format, down from 6v6 in Overwatch, will let players make a larger impact in their games.
- Three new Heroes – Sojourn, Junker Queen, & Unannounced Support Hero.
- Six new Maps.
- One new Game Mode.
- 30+ New Skins.
- One new Tank Hero.
- One new Map.
- Unique Mythic Skin.
- 30+ New Skins.
- We can expect to see more Heroes, Maps, and Modes.
- Blizzard is expecting to a release a new hero every other season.
- With a 9 week cycle, we should see 2 or 3 new Heroes each year.
- Seasons that don’t have a new Hero will feature new Maps and Game Modes instead.
Mythic Skins in Overwatch 2
Overwatch 2 is going to feature new skins that have the colors affect decals and weapons.
Weapon Charms in Overwatch 2
We’re also getting weapon charms, a cosmetic that has become quite common place over the past few years with titles like Apex Legends, Valorant, and PUBG making heavy-use of them.
Watch the Overwatch 2 Reveal Event
You can watch the full event on YouTube down below.
New Cinematic: Wastelander
Junker Queen Origin Story
This originally debuted during Summer Games Fest’s Xbox Event.