We're getting a large patch this Tuesday, 9th of June, with big changes to Hearthstone Battlegrounds! Here's a quick rundown of what's to come:
- Felfire Festival begins. Read more here.
- 20 Pirates are arriving in Battlegrounds!
- Three brand new Pirate heroes + Patches returns!
- 17 new cards, most of which are unique to Battlegrounds!
- With the arrival of new minion type, the minion pool of individual Battlegrounds matches will rotate. The active 5 minion types (out of 6) will be displayed while you’re selecting a Hero. Plan accordingly!
- A fourth new hero will arrive later on.
- The Solo Adventure begins on 17th of June.
- Five free chapters with a card back reward.
- Challenge mode opens on June 24th, where players will build their own deck. Reward for completing is golden Kael'thas Sunstrider.
- Legendary Questline starting on June 17th, with three weekly pack-rewarding quests.
The Felfire Festival is nearly here! The festivities begin on June 9 with the release of patch 17.4, which welcomes a salty new crew of minions to the Battlegrounds—Pirates! On June 17, the Trial by Felfire Solo Adventure will unlock, followed by Trial by Felfire Challenges on June 24. Beyond that, we’ve got some special Tavern Brawls and legendary quests lined up to mark the occasion.
Battlegrounds Shifting Minion Pools
At the start of each game of Battlegrounds, five of the six currently available minion types (Beasts, Demons, Dragons, Mechs, Murlocs, and now Pirates) will form the recruitment pool for that game. The active minion types will be displayed while you’re selecting a Hero—you can also check anytime during the Recruit phase by hovering over Bartender Bob’s deck. To keep things fair, Heroes designed with synergies around a specific minion types will sit out if their corresponding minion type is unavailable.
Pirates will always be available in the minion pool until they join the rest of the shifting minion pool in a future update.
Battlegrounds Hero Pool Updates
Starting June 9, the price of the Tavern Pass will be reduced for the remainder of the Ashes of Outland expansion cycle! Players with the Tavern Pass will have early access to the following new heroes before they’re formally released on June 23.
Buried Treasure [Cost 1]
- Dig for a Golden minion! (4 Digs Left)
Piggybank [Cost 0]
- Gain 1 Gold this turn. Increases each turn. (Once per game)
Trash for Treasure [Cost 0]
- Remove a friendly minion. Discover one from a lower Tavern Tier.
RETURNING & UPDATED HEROES
Patches the Pirate
Pirate Parrrrty! [Cost 4]
- Get a Pirate. After you buy a Pirate, your next Hero Power costs (1) less.
The Rat King
- No longer always starts on King of Beasts. Now starts on a random minion type, and will not include minion types that are not in the pool.
- Updated to include Pirates.
- Professor Putricide has been removed from the hero pool.
- Holy Mackerel has been removed from the minion pool.
New Battlegrounds Minions
[Tier 1, Pirate] 2 Attack, 2 Health.
- Battlecry: Reduce the cost of upgrading Bob's Tavern by (1).
[Tier 1, Pirate] 2 Attack, 1 Health.
- Deathrattle: Summon a 1/1 Pirate. It attacks immediately.
[Tier 2, Pirate] 3 Attack, 3 Health.
- Your other Pirates have +1/+1.
[Tier 2] 2 Attack, 2 Health.
- Can't attack. After an adjacent minion attacks, deal 2 damage to an enemy minion.
[Tier 2, Beast] 3 Attack, 2 Health.
- After this attacks, trigger a random friendly minion's Deathrattle.
[Tier 2, Pirate] 3 Attack, 3 Health.
- This minion sells for 3 Gold.
[Tier 3, Pirate] 2 Attack, 8 Health.
- Taunt After this minion survives being attacked, attack immediately.
[Tier 3, Pirate] 3 Attack, 3 Health.
- Whenever you play a Pirate, gain +1/+1.
[Tier 3, Pirate] 4 Attack, 2 Health.
- Battlecry: Give your other Pirates +3 Attack.
[Tier 4, Pirate] 5 Attack, 4 Health.
- Battlecry: Give a friendly Pirate +1/+1 for each Pirate you bought this turn.
[Tier 4, Pirate] 2 Attack, 2 Health.
- At the end of your turn, gain +2/+2 for each friendly Golden minion.
[Tier 4, Pirate] 3 Attack, 4 Health.
- Whenever another friendly Pirate attacks, give it +2/+2.
[Tier 5, Pirate] 6 Attack, 7 Health.
- Windfury Overkill: Give your other Pirates +2/+2.
Nat Pagle, Extreme Angler
[Tier 5, Pirate] 8 Attack, 5 Health.
- Overkill: Summon a 0/2 Treasure Chest.
[Tier 5, Pirate] 6 Attack, 6 Health.
- After you buy a Pirate, gain 1 Gold this turn only.
Dread Admiral Eliza
[Tier 6, Pirate] 6 Attack, 7 Health.
- Whenever a friendly Pirate attacks, give all friendly minions +1/+1.
The Tide Razor
[Tier 6] 6 Attack, 4 Health.
- Deathrattle: Summon 3 random Pirates.
- Updated to include Pirates.
Trial by Felfire Solo Adventure & Challenges
Follow the story of Aranna Starseeker (Elise Starseeker’s crafty younger sister) as she embarks on a thrilling journey of self-discovery, assembling a motley crew of outcasts and teaming up with Illidan to take on the mad architect of the Rusted Legion itself: MECHA-JARAXXUS! All five chapters of this Solo Adventure will be available for free on June 17. Complete the Trial by Felfire and you’ll also earn the Rusted Legion Card Back!
Before the adventure unlocks, Aranna Starseeker will enter Battlegrounds on June 16 as an early-access Hero for players with Battlegrounds Perks to try out before she formally joins the fray on June 30!
Demon Hunter Training [Passive]
- After you Refresh 7 times, always see 7 minions in Bob's Tavern.
- Finally, Trial by Felfire Challenges will unlock on June 24, where players will create a deck and battle Outland’s baddest bosses!
- Face off against the likes of Doom Lord Kazzak, Supremus, and Mother Shahraz in a gauntlet of iconic raid bosses from the Burning Crusade! Complete all challenges to earn Golden Kael’thas Sunstrider!
Legendary Quest Line
Starting on June 17 there will be a new Legendary quest unlocking weekly with pack rewards!
- June 17, 9:00 a.m. PT: Complete Chapter 1 in the Trial by Felfire adventure and earn 1 Ashes of Outland pack, 1 Year of the Dragon pack, and 1 Rise of Shadows pack.
- June 24, 9:00 a.m. PT: Play 4 Trial by Felfire Challenge games and earn 1 Ashes of Outland pack, 1 Year of the Dragon pack, and 1 Saviors of Uldum pack.
- July 1, 9:00 a.m. PT: Play 4 Tavern Brawl games and earn 1 Ashes of Outland pack, 1 Year of the Dragon pack, and 1 Descent of Dragons pack.
Game Improvements and Bug Fixes
- Fixed a bug on mobile where your opponent’s mana crystals would be displayed in the side bar during their turn.
- Fixed a bug where Zephrys the Great would not offer Windspeaker in the case where Windfury on an un-targetable minion was highly valuable.