Card set Predictions

980 667 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Hi everyone :) Since the Felfire Festival has come to an end at this point, the reveal for the next card set is likely upon us very soon. I'd love to see any ideas people want to throw around about what it could be, or even just what you would like it to be based off the teaser image.

Hearthstone Announces Year of the Phoenix - Roadmap, Expansion ...

Official Lorekeeper and Spinner of Tavern Tales

620 872 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

Dark Elves expansion. dont know the official name of that region or race in WoW but ive heard ppl talk about that

COMMENT_COUNT_900_HS 1170 904 Posts Joined 06/12/2019
    Quote From Marega

Dark Elves expansion. dont know the official name of that region or race in WoW but ive heard ppl talk about that

Void Elves. They could be cool. That opens up opportunity for Void Elf demon hunters, and void demons in general.

A man is lying on the street, some punks chopped off his head

I'm the only one who stops to see if he's dead.

Hmm. Turns out he's dead.

Yeah, void elves could be cool. There's also been talk that the purple banner in the background could have connections with night elves. In either case, that would likely mean that this would be a "race showcase" kind of set, like Rastakan's Rumble was for trolls. or Goblins and Gnomes was for, well, goblins and gnomes, lol. 

From what I see, themes for sets always fall into one of four categories:

Location: A set that serves as a sort of tour guide, showing off a wide variety of characters and features in order to paint a picture of an iconic location from WoW lore. This would be sets like Mean Streets of Gagetstzan, Ashes of Outland, Journey to Un'goro, Boomsday, or Kobolds and Catacombs.

Race Showcase: A set centered around a specific race from Warcraft lore with a flavor exhibiting the core traits of their civilization or culture. I already mentioned GvG and Rumble, but Witchwood could also potentially fall into this category since it's the first set to prominently feature worgan. Whispers of the Old Gods might also apply, if you want to consider them a race. These sets are often used as a way to get more cards and art into the game of a certain race that has previously been under-represented. 

Event: This kind of set contains a wide variety of races, but rather than focusing on a location, the focus is on an event. The Grand Tournament is the primary example here, although elements of it feature in Rastakan's Rumble as well. One Night in Karahzan would qualify, but it primarily falls into the last category. 

Narrative: This is what the adventures fall into, as well as all the sets from Year of the Dragon. In these sets, the primary goal of the theme is to tell a specific story about a set cast of characters. 

As you no doubt noticed, most sets could be argued to contain elements of two or more of these categories, but there's almost always one that stands out as a primary theme in my opinion. Which category do you like best or want to see next? 

COMMENT_COUNT_900_HS 1170 904 Posts Joined 06/12/2019

I'm hoping for a race-focused expansion, because it's been quite a while since we've had one. I tend to prefer location ones, but we've had four of those in a row. Also, that opens up fun Demon Hunter cards like I said.

Also, I'd like it if the next expansion was not named X of Y. Four of the last five card sets were named X of Y, and Galakrond's Awakening barely counts as an expansion.

A man is lying on the street, some punks chopped off his head

I'm the only one who stops to see if he's dead.

Hmm. Turns out he's dead.

Lol, good point. Yeah, some variety in the name would be very nice.  

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.

ODYN
    0 Users Here