Just a short while after the first-ever Mercenaries limited time event, featuring Chi-ji and its companions, Team 5 is back at it with another one. This time, we'll venture into many dangerous Bounty zones with the aid of Leeroy Jenkins, an iconic World of Warcraft player and one of Hearthstone's fan favorite cards of all time.
Our journey won't be in search of just fame and success, but you'll be able to complete a set of 10 event Tasks, which will reward you coins for Leeroy and many other goodies.
Here are all the tasks that are available during the Leeroy Jenkins Mercenaries event. Click any of the links below to visit our guide for the task.
- Take'em Down Quick
- Complete Smolderwing Bounty in less than 30 turns in Onyxia's Lair.
- Reward: 50 Leeroy Jenkins Coins, 25 Nefarian Coins.
- Stick to the Plan
- Complete Dragonbone Golem Bounty with all your Mercs alive in Onyxia's Lair.
- Reward: Leeroy Jenkins Mercenary.
- Lot Of Trouble In The Past
- Land the killing blow with Stonemaul Banner against Smolderwing in Onyxia's Lair.
- Reward: 50 Leeroy Jenkins Coins, 25 Onyxia Coins.
- 32.33 Repeating
- Complete Vandaar Bounty with at least 3 Orcs in Alterac Valley.
- Reward: 50 Leeroy Jenkins Coins, 50 Vandaar Stormpike Coins.
- Scatter Them!
- Complete Heroic Fallen Guardians Bounty with only Fighters in Felwood.
- Reward: 60 Leeroy Jenkins Coins, 25 Onyxia Coins, 25 Nefarian Coins.
- Divine Intervention
- Complete Apothecary Helbrim Bounty with only Leeroy in The Barrens.
- Reward: 60 Leeroy Jenkins Coins, 50 Random Coins.
- Deal 200 damage with Leeroy in a single turn.
- Reward: Golden Leeroy Jenkins Mercenary
- Do We Have A Soulstone?
- Complete Heroic Kazakus Bounty with at least 3 Dragons in Alterac Valley.
- Reward: 70 Leeroy Jenkins Coins, 50 Kazakus Golem Shaper Coins, 25 Random Coins.
- A Rough Plan
- Complete Heroic SI:7 Smuggler Bounty in 25 turns or less in Onyxia's Lair.
- Reward: 75 Leeroy Jenkins Coins, 50 Deathwing Coins, 25 Random Coins.
- At Least I Have Chicken...
- Complete Heroic Onyxia Bounty with at least 5 Humas in Onyxia's Lair.
- Reward: Diamond Leeroy Jenkins Mercenary.
As you can see, these tasks are quite the mixed bag: while some are fairly simple to complete, others require more than a bit of thinking (and luck: that one's always welcome) and planning ahead.
Moreover, certain tasks clearly state that you need Comps consisting on Mercenaries belonging to specific races in order for your progresses to count: the Chi-Ji event was about Beasts and Dragons, and this time you'll need the help of Orcs, Humans and Dragons.
Not all challenges might be as difficult as they seem at a glance: there are usually tips and tricks to be found to make everyone's lives easier. In this series of guides we'll take a look at how to complete each event Task, so that you'll be able to get your hands on all the rewards available. As of now, we'll focus our attention on our current task.
In case you missed them, if you click the banner below you'll have access to each of our task guides for this event.
How to Complete the "At Least I Have Chicken..." Task from the Leeroy Jenkins Event
- Requirement: Complete Heroic Onyxia Bounty with at least 5 Humas in Onyxia's Lair.
- Rewards: Diamond Leeroy Jenkins Mercenary.
- Difficulty: 4/5
Welcome to the last guide for this Leeroy Jenkins Mercenaries Event. In order for us to get the job done, we'll try to instruct you in how to complete the Onyxia Bounty in Heroic Mode. This is going to be a multi-stage fight, and the first one starts as you see below.
While this board might not look very threatening (looks like your everyday PvE boss!), each of these three units have a Passive ability that will hinder you in different ways.
Starting with the Onyxian Warders, they are Protectors which will summon a 10/10 Whelp whenever one of your friendly Mercenaries attacks. Therefore, it is better for us to carry a special-damage comp, with as few physical attackers as possible.
However, if you run little physical damage, Onyxia will punish you, as it has high Spell Resistance that will nullify most weaker abilities and will seriously reduce the power level of the stronger ones.
For those wondering about what "Spell Resistance +15" means, see it this way: unless you attack it physically (for example with something like Crusader's Blow 1), all the damage you deal Onyxia will be 15 damage weaker, possibly resulting in damage-less abilities in case they already deal less than such amount of damage.
Once you'll be able to deal at least 150 damage to Onyxia, it will turn Immune for two turns, during which it will try to restore some of its lost health with [Hearthstone Card (Deep Breath 5) Not Found] and subsequently deal damage to opposing characters with Engulfing Flames.
As you can see, this final fight is full of sly tricks; topping all of this, you'll have to complete the bounty on Heroic mode a with a party containing at least 5 Humans. For reference, here are the units you'll have to choose from.
- Protectors: Cariel Roame, Cornelius Roame, Lich King, Varian Wrynn.
- Fighters: Balinda Stonehearth, Leeroy Jenkins, Tirion Fordring, Wrathion.
- Casters: Anduin Wrynn, Antonidas, Jaina Proudmoore, Natalie Seline, Sky Admiral Rogers, Uther.
As already stated, we think that the best approach to this boss fight is with a special attack-heavy team, but with a couple of physical attackers for Onyxia's phase 2 or when the Onyxian Warders are out of the way. Fighters and Casters seem like a good combination, but a sturdy Protector like Cornelius Roame will definitely be useful during the climb.
What's going to be really interesting is how you'll decide to use the sixth slot in your party: the best choice is to include a non-Human Mercenary that has strong synergy with a couple of the Humans you are already running in order to meet the task's requirement (e.g. Prophet Velen for Anduin Wrynn, Baron Geddon/Ragnaros/Chi-Ji for Balinda Stonehearth and Antonidas and so on).
Here are a few Mercenaries parties you can use to complete the "At Least I Have Chicken..." task. You'll be able to choose between many comps, suggested by different content creators, as well as mentions of budget alternatives for our readers that don't have many Legendary Mercs in their collection.
Out of Cards Recommendation - Holy Comp
- Prophet Velen is your non-Human Mercenary for the remarkable Holy synergy.
- Cornelius Roame Taunts up and heals your other Mercs with Hold the Front 1, as well as being decent against Fighters.
- Natalie Seline completes your formation against Onyxia for additional healing and AoE damage.
- Leeroy Jenkins and Tirion Fordring are here because, well, because there aren't many good choices in the Human pool, and Fighters can become quite useful once both Warders are gone.
To prove this comp of being fit for this task, we actually recorded a video showing you that you can pull this off with ease. Unfortunately, we lost Cornelius Roame right before the final fight, which made things more difficult, but we were still able to seal the deal.
Here are few notes:
- Climbing comp is Anduin Wrynn-Cornelius Roame-Prophet Velen, but make sure to adapt your strategy based on who you're up against.
- Final fight comp is Anduin Wrynn-Natalie Seline-Prophet Velen.
- Tirion Fordring is particularly good for finishing off Onyxia once it enters in its second phase.
- Judgment of Humility 1 slaps, especially if you're able to pick some buffs along the way.
- Prophet Velen's Velen's Blessing 1 is fundamental for your Holy Damage to keep growing throughout the fight - make sure to use it (and combine it with Holy Nova 1 or Benediction 1) as much as possible.
Old Guardian's Fire Comp
Another viable synergy comes from the Fire support Humans have at disposal: both Balinda Stonehearth and Antonidas are frequently run in the competitive Fire Comp, so we may as well use this shell to build our Human-based party.
Here are a few notes:
- Climbing comp and final fight comp is Balinda Stonehearth-Cornelius Roame-Chi-Ji.
- Cornelius Roame is probably the first Merc that is going to die.
- When it will happen, bring in Antonidas from the bench.
Our clever community members set up a forum thread to share your Mercenaries progression journey, and we have added an #mercenaries channel on our Discord server if you want to talk with others in real-time. If you need an assist, you can also respond to this guide and we'll do our best to help you out; the comments are also a great way to share your own parties that you've used to complete the tasks above.
Good luck taking on any of these Bounties for those sweet sweet coins or just for the sake of satisfying completion!