We've got a brand new event in Hearthstone's Mercenaries game mode and it's here only for a limited-time! This time, we'll venture into many dangerous Bounty zones with the aid of Y'Shaarj, the strongest Old God (as well as the first to die in World of Warcraft), which already made its appearance in Hearthstone in Whispers of the Old Gods with Y'Shaarj, Rage Unbound.
Our journey won't be in search of just fame and success, but you'll be able to complete a set of 10 event Tasks, which will reward you coins for Y'shaarj and many other goodies.
Here are all the tasks that are available during the Y'Shaarj Mercenaries event. Click any of the links below to visit our guide for the task.
- Mountain Hikers
- Sustained No More
- Requirement: Land a killing blow on Azshara, Tidemistress and Loyal Myrmidon in one turn in Queen Azshara Bounty.
- Reward: Y'Shaarj Mercenary.
- Beach Day
- Fight Fire with Fire
- No Shivers
- Root of the Problem
- Rage Unfound
- You're a Kid Now
- Requirement: Complete Heroic N'Zoth Bounty with all your Mercs alive in Sunken City.
- Reward: 100 Y'Shaarj coins.
- Tag Team
- Visions of Conquest
As you can see, these tasks are quite the mixed bag: while some are fairly simple to complete, others require more than a bit of thinking (and luck: that one's always welcome) and planning ahead.
Moreover, certain tasks clearly state that you need Comps consisting of Mercenaries belonging to specific races in order for your progresses to count: while the N'Zoth event was about Humans, Dwarves, Elves, and Murlocs, this time you'll need the help of Humans and Pirates!
Not all challenges might be as difficult as they seem at a glance: there are usually tips and tricks to be found to make everyone's lives easier. In this series of guides we'll take a look at how to complete each event Task, so that you'll be able to get your hands on all the rewards available. As of now, we'll focus our attention on the current task.
In case you missed them, if you click the banner below you'll have access to each of our task guides for this event.
How to Complete the "Root of the Problem" Task from the Y'Shaarj Event
- Requirement: Complete Ursula Windfury Bounty without Ursula attacking once in Winterspring.
- Game Mode: Normal
- Rewards: 50 Y'Shaarj coins, 50 random coins, 25 Reno Jackson coins.
- Difficulty: 1/5
Root of the Problem is the first task of the Y'Shaarj event that bring us to Winterspring. In this bounty zone, we'll have to face Ursula Windfury and her Orc companions.
Starting from the left, we have Blightwolf Commander, a Protector with physical abilities and that gains more and more strength as the fight goes on thanks to its aura effect. Things may be hairy, but it's going to be a manageable opponent.
Ursula, on the other hand, will grant all Orcs (not just enemy ones) Windfury. While you may turn such aura effect into an advantage, it also means that the opponents are gonna inflict a lot of physical damage to your friendly Mercenaries, so watch out.
Finally, Blightwater Seer has a set of really annoying (but not particularly dangerous) abilities. Killing it early will restore all Orcs to full Health, meaning all the damage dealt to both Blightwolf Commander and Ursula Windfury will be nullified.
Here are some other informations you need to know before venturing in the bounty map:
- Ursula Windfury's quickest attack is Winged Assault 3, a 4 speed ability.
- You'll need to either kill Ursula before that, prevent her from attacking or making her slower with abilities like Doom Charge 1.
- All enemies are Orcs, but their Passive effects benefit all Orcs.
In conclusion, Root of the Problem asks you something relatively easy to pull off. However, there don't seem to be many Mercenaries able to get the job done. All in all, it's almost like there's a high entry wall to the task, which is sad.
Out of Cards Recommendation - Orc Comp
To be honest, we think Orc are the most efficient way (if not the only one) for you to churn through 250 points of Health in not more than two turns.
To prove this comp of being fit for this task, we actually recorded a video showing you that you can pull this off with ease.
Here are a few tips for those unfamiliar with this strategy.
- Climbing trio is Thrall-Saurfang-Garrosh Hellscream.
- Final fight trio is Thrall-Grommash Hellscream-Balinda Stonehearth.
- In case Ursula will open the match with Winged Assault 3, use Grom's Staggering Slam 1 on her, so that Lesser Water Elemental 1 will be able to Freeze her before she attacks.
- Otherwise, just go with the Water Elemental and use Blood Fervor 1.
- Direct all your damage output towards Ursula, so that she'll die quickly.
- After Ursula gets knocked out, take care of the other two (not so dangerous) enemy units.
- Another good reason why we play Orcs is Thrall's Doomhammer 1 equipment, which increases this Mercenary's initial attack by a fair margin, especially when you consider that you're going to deal critical damage with Windfury.
- Although it may be good for the climb, do not use Garrosh Hellscream in the final fight, as Mak'Gora 1 will make Ursula Windfury attack and, therefore, will mess things up.
Out of Cards Budget Recommendation - None
We'd be more than glad to be wrong (and in that case, please point it out in the comment section), but there doesn't seem to be anything able to consistently complete Root of the Problem, with the exception of Orcs of course.
The only useful alternative we've found is Elise Starseeker in combination with the Monkey's Paw 1 equipment. Said equipment will progress Quest for the Golden Monkey 1 by two steps, allowing you to start the game with Navigate the Jungle 1, basically doing the same job Balinda Stonehearth does in our featured comp.
Our clever community members set up a forum thread to share your Mercenaries progression journey, and we have added an #mercenaries channel on our Discord server if you want to talk with others in real-time. If you need an assist, you can also respond to this guide and we'll do our best to help you out; the comments are also a great way to share your own comps that you've used to complete the task above.
Good luck taking on any of these Bounties for those sweet sweet coins or just for the sake of satisfying completion!